- June 01, 2011
WEST HARTFORD, CT | Gietz, a leader in foil stamping technology, walked away with seven awards at the Foil & Specialty Effects Assn. (FSEA) Gold Leaf Awards banquet held on May 5 in concert with the International Assn. of Diecutting & Diemaking’s (IADD) Odyssey event. The joint program was held at the Nashville Convention Ctr. in Nashville, TN.
The awards are bestowed on trade finishers and commercial printers that have submitted samples to an FSEA-selected judging panel, resulting in recognition with gold, silver, or bronze levels, with one Best of Show award.
Among the seven awards Gietz received are the following:
• A bronze award went to Wilco (a div. of Rock-Tenn) of Candiac, QC Canada, for the product launch of L’oreal Youth Code Product Launch 3-SKU Set. The difficult job involved gold foil, applied on a Gietz Foil Commander. Dies were made by H&M, and the foil was supplied by Crown Roll Leaf. Designers: L'oreal USA and a Paris design team. Production Details: Inverkote paperboard, combination foil stamp emboss gold foil, emboss black band, clear holographic foil stamp, 1 SKU has a spot pearl flexo coating, overall UV gloss, UV inks.
• A silver award in the Book Cover/Jacket category went to Creativ Verpacken using H&M dies. Foil stamping was done on a Gietz Foil Commander with Kurz Transfer Products foils. This winner required nine separate passes on a Gietz Foil Commander with printing on a Heidelberg press.
• A silver award in the self promotion category went to H& M for City Scapes Poster #5. The entry was produced on a Heidelberg and foil stamped in four steps on a Gietz Foil Commander with foil from Kurz and dies from H&M.
• Another silver award went to Fine Impressions for an ink-over-foil submission. The job, titled Peacock Feathers, was produced on a Gietz with foil from ITW and dies from Metal Magic. It was flat stamped over print and embossing.
• A bronze award also went to Fine Impressions for an ink-over-foil entry. Titled Butterfly Birthday, the job was produced on a Gietz foil stamping press with foils from Nakai and API and dies from UEI. The submission involved two stamping and one embossing pass, with printing applied after the first foil pass.
• A gold award went to H&M USA for its Wrist Watch submission in the miscellaneous category. The piece was produced in seven passes on a Gietz 870 Compact foil stamping press with dies from H&M and foil from Kurz.
• The final seventh and gold award went to Trade Print Finishing for its Touchy Feely entry in the specialty UV coatings category. Produced on a Gietz with dies from Metal Magic and foil from Kurz and UV coatings from Actega Kelstar, the submission had one pass for foil, three UV passes, gloss, matte and texture.