- April 30, 2006, Edited by Deborah Donberg, Associate Managing Editor
Covering the Full Spectrum of Narrow Web Converting Industry News, Events, Activies & Products
Innovation is Honored
SPENCER, MA—Once again FLEXcon has honored the most innovative uses of p-s film by its customers in the 2005 Awards for Innovation Contest.
Winners included the following:
- Most Innovative—McDowell Label, Plano, TX, for a unique, suede-textured label for a tanning product squeeze bottle.
- Consumable Products—York Label, York, PA, for a re-sealable label with high-end graphics, designed to help bolster its position in the nonwoven moist wipes market.
- Durable Products (Printed)—Esselte DYMO (Sint Niklaas, Belgium), for a wire label that can be printed, self-laminated, and adhered in the field.
- Durable Products (Nonprinted)—Screenprint/Dow, Wilmington, MA, for what is called a highly effective, multilayered solution for a surgical light keyboard assembly.
- Promotional Advertising—Albert Basse Assoc., Stoughton, MA, for an attractive, lightweight, money-saving retail store display unit that utilizes a polyester label in place of an aluminum plate.
RFID Expo Draws a Crowd
By Nsenga Byrd Thompson, Associate Editor
DALLAS, TX—RFID World 2006, held February 27–March 1 at the Gaylord Texan Resort, had 200+ exhibitors and noticeably increased attendance over last year. The expo offered several conferences; most converters attended the Interactive Label Summit, which focused on improved productivity.
In his state-of-the-industry address, Sun Microsystems director Vijay Sarathy said, “RFID is taking off but not as fast as we hoped.” Shortcomings include the cost of tags; bringing in new infrastructure; unrealistic expectations; the immaturity of the technology; lack of standards; and integration issues with exiting processes. Benefits include improved real-time inventory; an anticipated 20% reduction in warehouse labor; improved delivery performance; and total supply chain cost reduction.
Dr. Rob Clark, Michigan State Univ., warned of pressures suppliers are under to comply with mandates from retailers, saying. “Mandating is a good way to drive adoption…but it’s not a good way to do business.”
For more information, visit rfid-world.com.
Remove and Strengthen Trim
AirTrim, Springfield, OH; 937/324-2272; airtrim.com
Matrix trim removal system uses an automated process to pull trim into the Matrix Twister, curling matrix into a rope form, strengthening it, and making it less prone to breakage, company says. Food-grade silicone mist at the intake reduces the stickiness of any exposed adhesive traveling through the system.
Press has Newest Electronics
Nilpeter USA, Cincinnati, OH; 513/489-4400; nilpeter.com
The modular FB3300A in-line flexo press offers rotary screen, hot air, and UV drying. Press can use drop-in screen in any print station and features company’s latest electronics package. Runs at speeds to 750 fpm.