- March 03, 2011
PARSIPPANY, NJ | Faced with continued increases in the costs of raw materials and volatility in the global supply chain, Sun Chemical will raise prices on April 1, 2011, in North America by the following percentages:
- 4 % for SunLit Diamond, SunLit Intense and SunLit Exact sheetfed process color inks
- 8 % for all other sheetfed process color inks
- 7 % for all energy curable (EC) narrow web, tag, and label printing inks
- 7 % for all EC packaging printing inks
- 7 % for all EC commercial printing inks
It is claimed that the ink industry continues to face significant increases in raw materials costs and supply instability due to the global supply challenges associated with graphic arts raw materials, higher demand from developing regions, consolidation and capacity curtailment taken by the chemical industry, and the significant decline in refinery margins over the past two years.
Further consolidation in the supply base is expected in 2011, according to Sun Chemical sources, along with continued pressure for suppliers to alternatively sell key raw materials into other markets. The combination of these factors, a Sun Chemical press release explains, has led to elevated costs in almost every raw material category critical to the production of inks.