- July 24, 2012
PACK EXPO International 2012 (October 28-31; McCormick Place, Chicago) will be this year’s most comprehensive processing and packaging event in North America. The show will feature more than 1,800 exhibitors highlighting innovation across the line, including equipment, materials and components.
Following is a sneak peek at some of the innovations that will be exhibited at the show:
- BarTender Adds Card Printing | Version 10 of Seagull Scientific’s (Booth #5748) BarTender software introduces card printing, professional-level drawing and major user interface improvements. New features include encoding of smart cards and magnetic stripes, RFID support (in Professional Edition), easier object creation and better text formatting.
- New Label Printing Technology Provides Enhanced Security | SATO (Booth # 6203) will showcase its newly enhanced series of industrial tabletop printers. The SATO CL4e HF RFID Series thermal transfer and direct thermal printers enable operators to use HF RFID tags for product authentication and asset tracking. The technology produces faster transactions with the benefit of secure wireless data collection.
- New 2D Code Enhances Accuracy and Security | The HD Barcode from Complete Inspection Systems Inc. (Booth # 3040) holds up to 703kB of secure, encrypted information. By incorporating the HD Barcode into printed cartons, labels or containers, manufacturers can identify products with high accuracy. Custom configuration of the HD Barcode is possible, enhancing security. In addition, the code generator program is kept separate from the readers, ensuring that it can never be reproduced. Complete Inspection Systems also provides Android or iOS Smartphone apps to read the codes and provide conclusive data.
- Roll-Fed IML Technology Provides Cost Savings | Designed for high volume, low SKU products, Inland Label’s (Booth # 5630) Roll-Fed in-mold labeling (IML) technology is said to provide the same photo quality graphics and durability as traditional IML but can offer up to 30% in cost savings. Unlike traditional cut and stack IML, these labels are cut in place on the production line prior to being placed in the mold. This process change means thinner gauge films can be used, reducing the amount of raw materials needed and decreasing manufacturing costs. The technology results from the collaboration between Inland Label, CBW Automation, and TechMold Inc.
- Innovative Molded Fiber Bottle Provides a Sustainable Solution | Ecologic Brands (Booth # 5132) will showcase its innovative sustainable packaging solutions designed to minimize the use of plastic while maintaining the functionality and convenience consumers need. Ecologic’s bottle consists of a molded fiber outer shell made from 100 percent recycled cardboard boxes (OCC) and old newspapers (ONP), integrated with a thin plastic inner pouch. Bottles made by Ecologic Brands are developed to function just like traditional plastic bottles with comparable strength and rigidity, but with much less plastic. The outer shell can be recycled up to seven more times or composted where no recycling facilities exist. The bottle also accommodates a range of film substrates and fitments for various applications. Three SKU’s are currently available in the bottle’s stock product line. The bottle shape and label area can be customized to meet different needs and help brands stand out on store shelves.
To register for PACK EXPO International 2012, visit www.packexpo.com. Discounted rates apply until October 8, 2012.