November 20, 2013
FORT MILL, SC | The Assn. of International Metallizers, Coaters and Laminators (AIMCAL) named the winners of its 2013 John Matteucci Technical Excellence Awards for presentations given at the group’s Web Coating & Handling Conference USA, held October 27–30 in Charleston, SC. Judges agreed the quality of this year’s papers demonstrated the highest levels of technical excellence and presentation skill.
In the Web Coating & Laminating category, the 2013 John Matteucci Technical Excellence Award for best paper went to “Fundamentals of Slot Coating Process” by Marcio Carvalho, Pontifica Universidade Catolica do Rio de Janeiro.
Three other papers in the Web Coating & Laminating track received Honorable Mentions:
• “Roll-to-Roll Pattern Coating with Slot Die” by Scott Zwierlein, Frontier Industrial Technology
• “Surface and Interface Characterization of Coated Polymer Films” by Jeffrey Shallenberger, Evans Analytical Group
• “Why Is It So Hard to Have a Clean Web?” by Dr. Steven Abbott, TCNF, and Dr. Charles Bishop, C.A. Bishop Consulting.
In the Vacuum Web Coating category, the 2013 John Matteucci Technical Excellence Award was won by “Substrate Cleaning in a High Vacuum Environment” by Sheila Hamilton, Teknek.
Three other papers from the Vacuum Web Coating track were awarded Honorable Mentions:
• “R2R Processing for Flexible Display Applications” by Neil Morrison, Applied Materials
• “Barrier Packaging in the Real World” by Dante Ferrari, Celplast Metallized Products
• “Characterization of Typical Process Defects Found on an Industrial R2R Metallizer” by Lyndon Harland, Bobst Manchester.
For more on the winners, see the article by Yolanda Simonsis.