- January 01, 2000, Claudia Hine, Senior Editor
Graphics of the Americas Global Printing & Converting Exposition will celebrate its silver anniversary February 4-6 at the Convention Center in Miami Beach, FL. With 23,000 printing and converting professionals from the southeastern US, South America, Central America, Mexico, and the Caribbean expected, it is being billed as the biggest and best show ever. Graphics of the Americas 2000 is sponsored by the Printing Assocation of Florida (PAF), Hialeah, FL.
According to PAF president Mike Streibig, "This show is simply outgrowing itself. For the first time, Graphics of the Americas is occupying all four halls -- more than a half million square feet-of the Miami Beach Convention Center."
Chris Price, VP/general manager of PAF, adds, "This includes our expanded and highly successful Converting Pavilion, which will be bigger and better than ever."
More than 750 vendors in 1,600 booths will display and demonstrate new technology designed to help deliver higher quality products, shorten the production cycle, lower costs, and increase profitability.
PAF once again will present the Graphic Arts Teachers Conference, which debuted last year. Designed to upgrade the knowledge of graphic arts teachers, the four-day conference will include seminars, panel discussions, Career Awareness Day, and a tour of a local printing facility.
The expo also will include four days of educational seminars on topics from management, marketing, and workflow to digital printing, prepress, converting, and new media. More than 50 seminars in English and Spanish will be offered during the expo, and for the first time, a full track of technical seminars will highlight the converting industry.
"The Printing Association of Florida has recognized a need for more information and expansion, particularly in the area of converting and flexo printing," states Price.
Of particular interest to converters are the following programs:
- Thursday, February 3, Paperboard and Post-Printing Processes, by Dr. Francesc Astals
- Friday, February 4, Stochastic Screening for Flexography, by Lluis Rebled
- Key Points for Choosing Anilox Rollers, by Lluis Rebled
- The Multicolor Makeready, by Frank Gualtieri
- Lightning Makeready on Lithographic Presses, by Ken Rizzo
- Saturday, February 5, Checking Dot Gain in Flexo, by Lluis Rebled
- The Digital Flexo, by Lluis Rebled
- Overcoming Multicolor Sheet-fed Press Problems, by Ken Rizzo
- 100+ Technical Ideas on Producing Consistent Color Quality, by Frank Gualtieri
- Your Top 20 Pressroom Headaches: Quick Fixes and Long-Term Solutions, by Ken Rizzo
- Sunday, February 6, Flexible Packaging Materials and its Printing, by Dr. Francesc Astals
- Graphic Arts Leaders of the Americas Awards Banquet honoring Antonio Tabanelli, past president of Conlatingraf, and Robert E. Murphy, past president of the Printing Industries of the Americas; and
- Pressing the Past, a display of unique presses including the 1539 Juan Pablo, 1862 Spider, and 1891 Golding & Pearl treadmill presses.
For complete details on the show and conference program, contact PAF, 6095 NW 167th St., D-7, Hialeah, FL 33015; ph: 407/240-8009; 800/331-0461; graphicsoftheamericas.com.